Friday, April 25, 2008

When Dreams Die; Who Will Be There for You?

I went to a funeral yesterday. It was for a gal I've known since she was a middleschooler. She died at 21 in a freak accident. She left behind her husband of two years. He is a pastor. They had just accepted a new position. I don't understand things and I'm not going to pretend that I do.

Anyway, the thing that struck me at the funeral was this idea of community. There were over 1,000 people at this one. People came from W.Virginia., Kentucky, Indiana, Hawaii--all over to be with the family. And I thought: This is community.

I'm still thinking this through, but, you know, I wonder: Who's in our circle? Who's got our back? Who's gonna hold us up when life tries to knock us down? Do we have such a community?

Lord, thank you for the church!

No comments: